FYI: What Realtors® Need to Know About Drones

Beginning on August 29th, 2016, small unmanned aircraft systems [ called drones ] will have new regulations and orders from the FAA.

Rector Hayden REALTORS® understands that aerial, stabilized video is a great tool for marketing your listings, however we want our agents and their clients to make sure they are within the laws of operating these new devices.

If a Company Does a Drone Video/Photo service for you, they SHOULD:

  • Be a sUAS operator that has either a current remote pilot certificate with a sUAS rating or a current pilot’s license and succesfully completed the necessary training courses;
  • Have umbrella insurance coverage in the event of an accident or other related legal issue;
  • Use a contract that indemnifies you for any claims related to the sUAS operation, including privacy, personal injury, and property damage claims.

If YOU FLY A DRONE YOURSELF, Here’s what you need to know:

  • No more pilot’s license or Section 333 exemption required
  • Must not weigh over 55 pounds
  • Must fly no higher than 400 feet
  • Must fly no faster than 100 mph
  • Drone must be in visual line of sight at all times
  • Drone must abide by all privacy laws in the state
  • May only be flown during daylight hours
  • Must be registered if over .55 pounds
  • Licensing – required to have Remote Pilot Certificate with sUAS Rating

To become licensed:

  1. Be at least 16 years old;
  2. Be able to ready, write, and understand the English language;
  3. Be in physical and mental condition that allows for the safe operation of the sUAS;
  4. Pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test
  5. Pay $150.00
  6. Your certificate is valid for 24 months.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *